The importance of understanding which regulatory rules your business in operating under has never been more important. It seems as though every industry is requiring companies to comply with their own set of regulations. The challenges of observing HIPAA for health care companies has been well documented. Financial companies have to be aware of FINRA, SOX, or GLBA and now it seems more generic types of information like PII (Personally Identifiable Information) and PHI (Protected Health Information), can be found in almost any business. Bytes of Knowledge can help identify systems, controls, and processes for handling, storing and transporting sensitive data in ways that will reduce the risk of prosecution and fines.
Unfortunately even a single incident can be devastating to the reputation and financial future of a business, so it is wise to get ahead of possible problems and fully understand your companies responsibilities. Bytes of Knowledge will help you navigate these potential pitfalls and mitigate risk so as to allow your business to focus on what it does best.
Many businesses are subject to one or more sets of regulations related to the management and protection of information. Such as:
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX)
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS)
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA)
- Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH)
And many businesses follow best practices, audit rules, or other industry standards defined by industry organizations:
- National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST)
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC)
For those of our clients who are not under specific regulations, and in consideration of the current cyber threat landscape, many of bytes of knowledge’s “next practices” security solutions have been standardized and hardened to a higher level than ever before.